Apache, MysQL and PHP for Windows could be a nice nice thing to have on your Windows workstation. You could try and experiment with all kinds of nice PHP and MySQL based applications right on your Windows desktop running Apache, instead of having to access a full-featured server.
Most people have Windows as their workstation and it can be sometimes difficult to switch to another operating system. So, you may have always wanted to run PHP applications on your Windows machine but wondered if it is too difficult to install or if the hassle will be worth it.
This article gives you the essential information to get started right away. Even if you are a seasoned PHP, MySQL and Apache guru, the checklist below will still be helpful in your installation process.
There are lots of 3rd party software that bundles Apache, MySQL & PHP in one package and installs them on our computer. We do not recommend this and suggest that you directly get Apache, MySQL & PHP from their official sites.
1. Get Apache 1.3.33 from here: http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
2. Choose a mirror close to you and in the same page, look for the Win32 Binary (Self extracting) file: apache_1.3.33-win32-x86-no_src.exe.
3. Download the file and save it on your hard disk. Run the installer and the self- extracting wizard will guide you through the rest of the steps. Choose all the default settings and run Apache as a service.
4. Remember to put "localhost" when asked for a Server name/Domain name. Use "[email protected]
" when asked for the administrative email account.
5. Now point your browser to: http://localhost
and you should see an Apache Test Page.
6. You can change this page by creating an "index.html" page here "C:Program FilesApache GroupApachehtdocs".
7. You can manually start and stop the Apache server. In a Windows command prompt, type "net stop apache" or "net start apache".
1. Get MySQL 4.1.7 from here: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.1.html
2. Under the Windows downloads section, choose Windows Essentials (x86) and click on the Pick a Mirror link.
3. Download the file mysql-4.1.7-essential-win.msi and save it on your hard disk. Run the installer and the self-extracting wizard will guide you through the rest of the steps. Remember the root password when prompted for it in the installation process.
4. Once the installation is done, on your Windows toolbar, go to "Start->Programs- >MySQL->MySQL Server 4.1->MySQL Command Line Client".
5. Type the root password and you should be logged in to the MySQL shell.
6. Type "show databases;" to see the list of databases. Type "quit" when you are done.
1. Get PHP 4.3.10 from here: http://www.php.net/downloads.php
2. Under the Windows Binaries section, choose the file: PHP 4.3.10 zip package size 7,405Kb dated 15 Dec 2004.
3. Download the file and save it on your hard disk. Unzip the file and rename the extracted folder to "php". Now move this folder "php" and place it under "C: Program Files".
4. Move all the files under "C:Program Filesphpdlls" and "C:Program Filesphpsapi" to here: "C:Program Filesphp".
5. Copy the file php.ini-recommended to "C:WINDOWS" and rename it to php.ini
6. Edit your Apache "httpd.conf" configuration file located here: "C:Program FilesApache GroupApacheconf".
7. Add the following lines in httpd.conf:
LoadModule php4_module "C:/Program Files/php/php4apache.dll"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
8. Now stop your server by issuing the following command in Windows command prompt: "net stop apache". Then type "net start apache" to start your server. We are now going to test the PHP installation.
9. Go to "C:Program FilesApache GroupApachehtdocs" and create a file test.php
10. Edit test.php and add the following code:
<? php phpinfo(); ?>
11. Point your browser to http://localhost/test.php
and you should see a lot of PHP configuration information.
Congratulations! You now have Apache, MySQL and PHP installed in your computer. Now you can install your favorite script right on your Windows workstation.
Sanjib Ahmad, Freelance Writer and Product Consultant for Business.Marc8.com - Business Best Sellers.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Sanjib_Ahmad