• Welcome to Web Hosting Community Forum for Webmasters - Web hosting Forum.

Recommended Providers

Fully Managed WordPress Hosting
lc_banner_leadgen_3
Fully Managed WordPress Hosting

WordPress Theme

Divi WordPress Theme
WPZOOM

Recent Topics

Forum Membership

Forum Membership

Windows or Linux Hosting ??

Started by Kevin, October 05, 2008, 10:36:51 PM

Windows Hosting or Linux Hosting ??

Windows
0 (0%)
Linux
3 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: October 05, 2008, 10:36:51 PM

Kevin

Hi,

Which hosting platform are you using for your web site?

For me it's Linux.

Kevin

Kailash

My basic requirement is PHP and MySQL so I prefer to go for Linux Hosting.

Kailash

digitalpoint

If your requirement is only PHP and MySQL, go for Linux hosting because Linux+PHP+MySQL is best combo.

cutecub00

I am using Linux.
Linux is an open source software product and thus it does not need the high licensing fees that other operating systems do; you can freely download and use it at no cost.
It can easily be converted to a Windows website without much hassle. Also, the website can easily be changed as the requirement of the user grows.
This web hosting is very economical as Linux is a free operating system. Usually, only the cost of distribution is borne by the host or owner.

free tv channels

365ezone

Both window and linuxare working god in there are

for linux hosting it is cheapest and any one can use it
it support php,myql hlml platforms which is now a days more popular

on the other hand window hosting is little bit higher price then linux hosting because of window server software and many other things
basically it handle .net platform

so both are good in there area

mamedesign

theinc

Linux suits the best for all my needs and its cheaper and fast.

izumi777

It depends on your requirement.
For php go for linux hosting.
For ASP.NET go for windows hosting.

alenshowbrizz

I like windows platform.

PHP
ASP.NET

jonyroger

Linux is open source software, so it needs high licensing fees that other operating systems do not, you can freely download and use at no cost. It can be easily converted to Windows website without much effort. In addition, the site can easily be changed as the needs of users grows.

cathelinedavid

Linux is an open source software, so requiring high license fees that operating systems do not, you can freely download and use free of charge. It can be easily converted to Windows website without much effort. In addition, the site can easily be changed, because the user needs to grow. On the other hand, the window that hosts the price is slightly higher then the window linux hosting because the server software and many other things, is almost done. NET

maconfaris

I also prefer the linux hosting because there are so many advantages available in the linux hosting like the security is more in the linux. The database is also in the My sql and Linux also support it. Linux also supports HTML pages and JavaScript.

rogertilden

These is one of teh great information which you can share is really very great. It can be easily converted to Windows website without much effort. In addition, the site can easily be changed, because the user needs to grow. In all these there are so many things which is great.

jeckronald

Linux is an open-source operating system which is based on Unix, and is available in a wide variety of flavors commonly referred to as distributions. When you're choosing what hosting provider to use for your Web site, many people focus solely on what operating system the hosting provider uses.

John23

If you are familiar with the Windows operating system, having a Windows based server will make the learning process much easier. You won't have to worry about learning a new language just to maintain your website. For beginners, this is a definite plus.

Nile Hadwards

Both Windows and Linux can support standard Cold Fusion, HTML and JavaScript files. Previously it was difficult to use Linux server for FrontPage extensions but now it is easy to do so. CGI and Perl platforms are though supported by Windows but Linux is commonly used for these. Linux commonly supports PHP while Windows support ASP.

sujith34

I would prefer Windows Hosting..the reason is that as follows
--If your website relies on .net or visual basic, Windows hosting is an excellent choice. In fact, it's the only choice that will provide you what you need to accomplish building a website with these languages. Unix hosting is not able to use these languages and if you need to use either, it is essential that you select a Windows Hosting platform.
--If you use the popular web design program, Microsoft Front Page, having a Windows Hosting platform will make your life a lot easier. You won't have to worry about making sure your server supports extensions, as you would with a Unix platform.
--If you are familiar with the Windows operating system, having a Windows based server will make the learning process much easier. You won't have to worry about learning a new language just to maintain your website.
--If you plan to use Active Server Pages or .ASP or if you need to have a dynamically database driven website, Windows is superior in this regard. In fact, Unix servers do not support .ASP, which makes your choice clear if you plan to use this popular scripting language on your site.
--If your website needs to collect its data from an Access database, a Windows server will be able to integrate this database seamlessly. While there are many database options, such as MySQL, many people prefer to use Access. A Windows server will be able to make integration much easier.
--If you use Visual Interdev or plan to develop Windows based applications on your site, than a Windows platform will obviously be the best choice for you. Unix does not support Windows development programs and if this is the development language of your choice, you would be best served by a Windows based server.
i got my hosting service from tucktail where the service provided by them is good and reliable..

pureweb

Its depends upon the requirments.both are good in their own Plateform

mamatha

Windows Hosting is on a server that is using the Windows operating system. Simple but this doesn't have much to do with the operating system you use to run your home computer. The primary reason for using Windows web hosting is that it offers ASP, ASP.NET and MSSQL. These are types of scripting languages and databases that only run on Windows.

cloudcomputingcw

I am using linux

Advantages of linux is

In the world of web hosting, Linux has the upper hand against other operating systems particularly Windows. Linux web hosting is becoming more and more the most popular method of web hosting among web developers. You might wonder why Linux is the king when it comes to web development when Windows seems to be the better known operating system out there in the market.

Well, there are many things that caused Linux to be at the forefront of web hosting choices.

Foremost of these is the price, as every edition of Linux such as Free BSD, Red Hat and Debian is free for web developers to use in their web design. With the cost of the operating system to use gone, the overall cost of a Linux web hosting plan is reduced resulting in a higher profit for web developers and price advantage for consumers.

Here are the other advantages of choosing Linux web hosting:

The Low Costs

Aside from the free cost of the Linux operating system as mentioned earlier, choosing Linux web hosting also allows you to avail of the its other applications that are also free. Desktop and server applications for your web design such as File Server, Web Server, DNS Server and FTP are free to download and free for your server to use.

Its Compatibility Capability

Another advantage in choosing Linux web hosting is its compatibility with other software and operating systems.

Making a website that is based on Linux be hosted by a server that is of other operating system like Windows will cause no difficulties while having a website that is based on another OS like Windows be hosted by a Linux server will nothing but trouble.

That is why you should turn to Linux web hosting as early as possible to avoid these compatibility problems that you will most likely dace in the future.

The Performance Advantage

Aside from being free, the Linux OS and it applications are also widely commended for their performance which regards to their stability compared to other operating systems.

With all other factors of web hosting such as power supply and administrative skills equal, a one on one comparison between Linux and Windows will show that Linux provides better reliability with its stability and higher uptime.

Its Simplicity of Use
Linux web hosting is not a complicated job like the way it is portrayed by pundits who compare it with the user-friendly interface of Windows. On the contrary, the procedure of uploading and setting up of a Linux web server is almost the same process as the one that is done when setting up a Windows one.

Although choosing a Linux web hosting plan is not the overall solution for every web development situation, it proves to be the better, if not the best alternative to other more well known operating systems for web hosting particularly Windows as it offers key advantages like stability, compatibility and more importantly, lower costs for web developers.

annahussy

According to me windows and Linux both are the best hosting services. I would like to use windows hosting because it is good for using windows operating system. It is good  ASP, ASP.net and Mysql and its good to run scripting base and framework applications. It is also provide good security to protect your site from hackers and viruses.