Which is More Professional?
« on: April 10, 2009, 04:43:12 PM »
One of the misconceptions I want to dispel is that either displaying your email address or providing a contact form automatically makes your site look more professional Flash Website Design .  

A quick survey of websites on the Internet today will show you that email addresses can be found on both business and hobby/personal sites. Likewise, contact forms are now so prevalent that it is not only the hobby sites that have them, many businesses also provide such forms in addition to, or instead of, listing their email addresses.

I have some visitors who tell me that they won't do business with companies that don't display their email addresses on their site, since it makes them wonder whether the company is a shady one. That is, to these visitors, publishing an email address lends a site legitimacy.

Other visitors tell me that they like my feedback form wizard because it allows them to easily add a contact form to their site, making it "look more professional". That is, to these other visitors, a feedback form grants a site professionalism.

Seen from a certain perspective, both these sets of comments probably cancel each other out. In other words, neither the listing of an email address or the placement of a contact form per se automatically confers a site an aura of respectability and professionalism. Since both options are so prevalent on the internet, and everyone has had different experiences with sites with either an email address or a contact form, having one or the other is no guarantee that it will make your site look more professional to everybody.