• Welcome to Web Hosting Community Forum for Webmasters - Web hosting Forum.

Recommended Providers

Fully Managed WordPress Hosting
lc_banner_leadgen_3
Fully Managed WordPress Hosting

WordPress Theme

Divi WordPress Theme
WPZOOM

Recent Topics

Forum Membership

Forum Membership

shared hosting and seo effect

Started by carpe~diem, November 11, 2010, 10:39:05 PM

carpe~diem

Do you think being on shared hosting, where there are other domains on the same server, can have any effect on your website's ranking? Does it matter how many other websites are on the server, and what they are? And is it worth the added monthly expense to get a dedicated server so that your website is the only one on it? Has anyone seen real examples of shared hosting hurting people (and where it's the shared hosting and not something else)?
I'm just wondering if it matters and how much, since sometimes the "little things" add up!
Thanks in advance! :)
PS... for example, my website http://www.tradeshowmarketingadvice.org is on a shared hosting account at hostpc.com Since I put it there, there seem to be more and more other websites being added to same server, and none of other sites is about trade show marketing (as far as I can tell), which is my topic area. Does this matter? Is there any way of judging the other sites on the server, or the host?

sherimiller

A website should have a dedicated IP address for only.Multiple sites that have a unique IP address does not help at all google is going to the track.

JackTipsonz

A website should have a dedicated IP address for sites only.Multiple to have a single IP address does not help Google will track.

creaigdenn

I think shared hosting is fine for optimizing a site but Overloaded Shared Hostings can affect your Search Engine Rankings badly. Shared hosting on your SEO efforts but not too much. Search Engines know that you don't have control over the hosting server. You can only control your website and can only police the links going out from your website.

JonyWalker69

Dedicated and VPS servers are needed for large sites with thousands of visitors and users engaged in internal messaging or chat. I do not think that shared hosting has nothing to do with SEO. The only downside to shared hosting is that you are sharing the same IP with several, even hundreds of other domains. For a little more money you can get your own IP, while still paying a low rate of shared hosting.

Nile Hadwards

In case of shared hosting, various maintenance features like server management, security updates, server software and anti-virus backup are provided by the provider of the shared hosting.

[email protected]

This is the most important thing about it. A website should have a dedicated IP address for only.Multiple sites that have a unique IP address does not help at all google is going to the track. It plays very important role.

RobertXEmma

Google says it aims to page load times, but I'm not sure if it can be classified reliably as a result, anything hosted outside the U.S. always have lower load times those hosted by the robots. So what are they doing there? Do not run bots all over the world? My guess is NO. There may be other problems that would affect load times and ... I remember a few years the main link between the U.S. and Australia, was started so that all traffic had to go through satellites that are a big problem with ping rates.

JonsJnsn

Shared accommodation in their SEO efforts, but not much. The search engines know that you have no control over the hosting server. You can only control your website and can only patrol the links leaving your site. I think the shared hosting is good for the optimization of a site, but overloaded shared Hostings can affect your search engine rankings badly.

Steve Smith

When a lot of sites are hosting on a server, there are increased security risks. Hackers may target some sites in the shared server and once they get access to it, all sites hosted on the same server could be impacted. This will lead to increased downtime for your site. Also, he hackers might distribute malware through your site or abuse it for various spammy activities, each of which could have its own impact on your site's search engine ranking.