• Welcome to Web Hosting Community Forum for Webmasters - Web hosting Forum.

Recommended Providers

Fully Managed WordPress Hosting
lc_banner_leadgen_3
Fully Managed WordPress Hosting

WordPress Theme

Divi WordPress Theme
WPZOOM

Recent Topics

Forum Membership

Forum Membership

Disabling wp-cron.php in WordPress (WordPress virtual cron)

Started by Rick, March 19, 2014, 06:21:44 AM

Rick

Hi,

As far I know WordPress uses wp-cron.php file for the virtual cron. This file is being accessed each time whenever a page is visited. I have one heavy traffic WordPress blog and this is causing the issue. Is there any way I can disable WordPress virtual cron so that wp-cron.php is not called on each page visit? This will help me to reduce the resource usage.

Thanks,
Rick

Kailash

Yes it is advisable to disable WordPress virtual cron if you are not using it. You can set manual cron job to for wp-cron.php to run 1 or 2 times in a day. This is necessary to check for WordPress updates and plugin updates. To disable WordPress virtual cron, kindly refer our article on Disabling wp-cron.php in WordPress

Rick

Hey thanks for the article. It helped me to disable WordPress virtual cron wp-cron.php and I was able to reduce my usage.

Rick

Web_news

If you are not using any virtual cron in your WordPress blog, it is highly recommend you disable this. This will certainly save your server resources.

WebhostingTalk

On a large blog, wp-cron.php should be disabled to avid over resource utilization. You need it only if you are using any plugin related to WordPress cron.

WebhostinTalk

Hall

If you don't have privilege to setup cron job or don't know how to, try this WordPress plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/easycron/