• Welcome to Web Hosting Community Forum for Webmasters - Web hosting Forum.

Recommended Providers

Fully Managed WordPress Hosting
lc_banner_leadgen_3
Fully Managed WordPress Hosting

WordPress Theme

Divi WordPress Theme
WPZOOM

Forum Membership

Forum Membership

cPanel TSR-2017-0002 Full Disclosure

Started by Kailash, March 22, 2017, 04:31:28 PM

Kailash

cPanel TSR-2017-0002 Full Disclosure

SEC-208

Summary

Addon domain conversion did not require a package for resellers.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 2.7 CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:H/UI:N/S:U/C:N/I:N/A:L

Description

Previously, when you converted an addon domain to a normal account, it was not required that a reseller specify a package for the account creation. This allowed the reseller to use the system's "default" package that has no account limits. Now, an addon domain conversion requires that a reseller have and specify a valid package for the account.

Credits

This issue was discovered by the cPanel Security Team.

Solution

This issue is resolved in the following builds:

SEC-217

Summary

Self XSS Vulnerability in WHM cPAddons 'showsecurity' interface.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 4.7 CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:H/PR:N/UI:R/S:C/C:L/I:L/A:N

Description

When accessing the WHM cPAddons 'showsecurity' interface, the 'addon' parameter was not adequately escaped during page output. This could allow for arbitrary code to be injected into the rendered page.

Credits

Solution

SEC-218

Summary

Arbitrary file read via WHM /styled/ URLs.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 6.0 CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:H/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:N/A:N

Description

WHM supports /styled/ URLs in order to allow for reseller interface customization and branding. It is possible for these URLs to load and display content from a reseller's home directory. These files were being loaded as the root user. This allowed for arbitrary files on the system to be read.

Credits

Solution

SEC-219

Summary

File overwrite when renaming an account.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 3.2 CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:R/S:C/C:N/I:L/A:N

Description

When renaming an account it was possible to manipulate the security policy directories within the user's home directory to overwrite certain files the user did not own.

Credits

Solution

SEC-220

Summary

Arbitrary code execution during account modification.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 8.2 CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:R/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H

Description

When the primary domain of an account was changed in WHM's "Modify an Account" interface, the .htaccess file in the account's docroot was updated. This .htaccess update process included a syntax test, where it was possible for the cPanel user to execute arbitrary code as root.

Credits

Solution

SEC-221

Summary

Arbitrary code execution during automatic SSL installation.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 8.8 CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H

Description

During Autossl installation for user-controlled domains, the .htaccess file in the domain's docroot was updated to bypass redirects that would interfere with the domain validation process. This .htaccess update process included a syntax test, where it was possible for the cPanel user to execute arbitrary code as root.

Credits

Solution

SEC-223

Summary

Security policy questions were not transfered during account rename.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 2.6 CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:H/PR:L/UI:R/S:U/C:N/I:L/A:N

Description

If an account had security questions set up, and that account was renamed, the questions were not transferred to the renamed account correctly. This allowed an attacker to set up their own security questions by logging into the target account after an account rename was performed.

Credits

Solution

SEC-224

Summary

cPHulk one day ban bypass when IP based protection enabled.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 5.3 CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:N/I:N/A:L

Description

It was possible under certain settings to never trigger a one day ban when IP-based protection was also enabled. Now, IP addresses are properly one day banned when the specified threshold is reached.

Credits

Solution

SEC-225

Summary

Code execution as root via overlong document root path settings.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 8.8 CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H

Description

By specifying a document root path which exceed Apache's maximum configuration line length limit, it was possible for this excessive data to be interpreted as a new configuration directive. This could allow for an attacker to run arbitrary code as the root user.

Credits

Solution

SEC-226

Summary

Arbitrary file overwrite via WHM Zone Template editor.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 6.8 CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:H/UI:N/S:C/C:N/I:H/A:N

Description

The WHM Zone Template editor interface did not properly validate the template filename when saving. This allowed resellers to overwrite arbitrary files on the system.

Credits

This issue was discovered by rack911labs.com.

Solution

SEC-227

Summary

Expand list of reserved usernames.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 6.0 CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:H/UI:N/S:C/C:N/I:H/A:N

Description

It was possible to create certain user accounts and then leverage the user's home directory to enable various exploits. These account names have been added to the reserved username list.

Credits

This issue was discovered by rack911labs.com.

Solution

SEC-228

Summary

Adding parked domains to mail config did not respect domain ownership.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 2.4 CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:H/UI:R/S:U/C:N/I:L/A:N

Description

It was possible for a reseller to add parked domains, that they did not own, to the Exim mail configuration. A reseller must now own the parked domain to perform any action on it.

Credits

Solution

SEC-229

Summary

URL filtering flaw allowed access to restricted resources.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 4.3 CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:L/I:N/A:N

Description

Due to faulty URL filtering, authenticated webmail accounts could access the PHPMyAdmin and PHPPGAdmin interfaces.

Credits

Solution

SEC-232

Summary

Demo code execution via Htaccess::setphppreference API.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 7.4 CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:L/I:L/A:L

Description

The Htaccess::setphppreference API call was not restricted for demo accounts and accepted arbitrary data to be written into the account's .htaccess file. This could allow for an attacker to execute arbitrary codeunder the demo account.

Credits

Solution

SEC-233

Summary

Arbitrary code execution for demo accounts via NVData_fetchinc API call.

Security Rating

cPanel has assigned this vulnerability a CVSSv3 score of 7.4 CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:L/I:L/A:L

Description

The NVData_fetchinc API call could accept an arbitrary filename to be included and processed by the cPanel engine. It was possible for an attacker to use this to execute arbitrary code under a demo account.

Credits

Solution