• Welcome to Web Hosting Community Forum for Webmasters - Web hosting Forum.

Recommended Providers

Fully Managed WordPress Hosting
lc_banner_leadgen_3
Fully Managed WordPress Hosting

WordPress Theme

Divi WordPress Theme
WPZOOM

Forum Membership

Forum Membership

Should you change SSH port on VPS?

Started by Chris, November 20, 2019, 03:33:08 PM

Chris

Hello there, I receive a message asking me to change my SSH port im wondering if this is necessary or not? There's two sides of the argument that ask you to change or not what do you think about it?

kumkum

Hi,
I know this is old post but i just want tel about SSH port change. I just want to say that according to security purpose you have to change your SSH port number.
Its because default SSH port is 22 and everyone know this, so for security purpose you have to change it.

You have to change port in sshd_config file and for uncommented port settings line. you can find your "sshd_config" file in /etc/ssh/ path.
After changing it you have to restart sshd service to reflect the changes

For detailed steps you can check this link: https://hoststud.com/resources/how-to-change-ssh-port-on-centos-linux-server.151/

etechsupport

To establish remote access, you need to use an SSH client, such as the built-in OpenSSH client in Linux, to connect to your SSH server. The connection is commonly done via the standard SSH port 22/TCP. ... Therefore, changing your default VPS port can add an extra layer of security.
Technical Support -eTechSupport.net sales@etechsupp

techinfo

ownwebservers1

Even though Secure Shell (SSH) allows you to have a secure connection with your remote server, the default SSH port 22 tends to be an easy target for attackers. It's recommended to change the default port to add an extra layer of protection to your server.

jacobwallace

Despite the fact that Secure Shell (SSH) allows you to establish a secure connection with your remote server, attackers frequently target SSH port 22. To provide an extra degree of security to your server, it's a good idea to alter the default port.

Akshay_M

Quick Steps

Open /etc/ssh/sshd_config in a text editor and modify "Port" directive with new port number
Save the changes and restart the SSH service.
In this article, we'll be explaining how to change the SSH port on your VPS

Even though Secure Shell (SSH) allows you to have a secure connection with your remote server, the default SSH port 22 tends to be an easy target for attackers. It's recommended to change the default port to add extra layer of protection to your server.

1. Log in to the server as root using SSH.

2. Open the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file in your preferred text editor (nano, vi, etc.).

3. Locate the following line:

# Port 22
4. Remove # and change 22 to your desired port number and save the change.

5. Restart the sshd service by running the following command:

service sshd restart