Simple Machines has released a new patch to the 2.0.x line of SMF, bringing our latest release version to 2.0.16.
We consider this patch to be of crucial importance, as it includes important security and bug fixes, as well as support for the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requirements. We recommend updating as soon as possible.Notable changes in 2.0.16
- GDPR Compliance toggle in Core Features
Enabling this configures multiple settings and new features to comply with the GDPR, including:
- Asking during registration whether the new member wants to receive announcements via email
- Enabling token-based unsubscribe links in emails so members can unsubscribe without logging in
- Allowing members to download a copy of their profile information
- Adjusting the behaviour of a number of other features in minor ways as necessary
- PHP 7.2 support
- Improved security hashes for the image proxy
- Improved security for the login cookie
- Assorted other security improvements
- Various improvements for both the installer and upgrader
Please see the changelog for more information.IMPORTANT NOTES:
- If you are using the GDPR Helper mod, you should follow these steps:
- Update the GDPR Helper mod to its latest version
- Uninstall the GDPR Helper mod
- Install the SMF 2.0.16 patch
All users, including the admin, will need to log in again after 2.0.16 has been installed.How to update to 2.0.16
If you are running version 2.0.15, you can update your forum to the latest version by using the package manager. You should see the update notification in the admin panel notifications and in the package manager, which will allow you to download and install the patch seamlessly. If you do not see the notification about the patch, please run the scheduled task "Fetch Simple Machines files" from the Scheduled Tasks page (Admin > Maintenance > Scheduled Tasks).
If you use older versions of SMF, you can upgrade directly to 2.0.15 from whichever version you are currently using by using the "Large Upgrade" package from the Download page. Be aware that using this upgrade method will require you to reinstall any customizations that you have added to your forum, so if you are running a version of the 2.0.x series, it is recommended that you apply the successive patches instead of using the Large Upgrade.
If you are having problems downloading the patch from the admin panel, you can download the patch package from the Package Manager Updates page and install it via the Package Manager, as you would any other mod package.
Please refer to the Online Manual for more details about patching and upgrading.