• Welcome to Web Hosting Community Forum for Webmasters - Web hosting Forum.

Recommended Providers

Fully Managed WordPress Hosting
lc_banner_leadgen_3
Fully Managed WordPress Hosting

WordPress Theme

Divi WordPress Theme
WPZOOM

Recent Topics

Forum Membership

Forum Membership

ASP vs PHP

Started by Tech, August 30, 2007, 02:09:30 AM

Tech

When building web sites, ASP and PHP are very popular languages. Here's my opinion on whether ASP or PHP is best

ASP v. PHP

Both ASP and PHP are languages used to build Dynamic Web sites that can interact with Databases and exchange information. ASP (Active Server Pages) is from Microsoft and is used with IIS (Internet Information Server) that runs on Microsoft Servers. PHP (Personal Home Pages) is from Rasmus Lerdorf, who originally designed this parsing language which was later modified by different people. It runs on Unix and Linux servers and it also has an NT server version.

There are a lot of differences between ASP and PHP.

Cost

To run ASP programs one needs IIS installed on a Windows platform server, which is not free. PHP programs run on Linux, which is free. Even the connectivity of the database is expensive in the case of ASP as MS-SQL is a product of Microsoft that needs to be purchased. PHP generally uses MySQL, which is freely available.

Speed

If we compare the speed of ASP and PHP then PHP has an upper hand. PHP code runs faster than ASP. ASP is built on COM based architecture, which is an overhead for the server whereas PHP code runs in its own memory space.

Platform Compatibility

PHP programs can run on various platforms like Linux, Unix, Windows and Solaris whereas ASP is mainly associated with Windows platforms. However, ASP can run on a Linux platform with ASP-Apache installed on the server.

Additional Costs

Many of the tools used in PHP are free of cost and since PHP is open source a lot of code can be found in open source forums. PHP has inbuilt features like ftp, email from a web page or even encryption mechanisms but in ASP such features are not built in and some additional components are required. Therefore an additional cost is incurred for such components.

Base Language

PHP is based on C++ language and the syntax used in PHP is quite similar to C/C++. C/C++ is still considered the best programming language by many programmers and people who love this language would surely feel more comfortable with the syntax of PHP. ASP on the other hand has a more Visual Basic kind of syntax that again is closely related to only Microsoft products. So, it depends on a person-to-person which language he or she is comfortable

Database Connectivity

PHP, being extremely flexible, can connect to various databases, the most popular being MySQL. ASP mainly uses MS-SQL.

Conclusion

Both languages have their advantages specific to users. Some would argue that both the languages have their own importance and depending on the user's requirements the language and the platform can be chosen. If we talk about developing a discussion board then ASP is equally capable but many feel the best discussion boards are developed in PHP. If a user is looking for some e-commerce application development then many would call ASP the ideal choice. This does not mean that PHP cannot provide e-commerce solutions, only that many people choose ASP.

From my perspective, PHP is an all around better choice than ASP.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Halstatt_Pires

mikesleves

Here is a solution for how a PHP deffer from ASP.

First of all we will talk about PHP. The PHP Hypertext Protocol. It has become a somewhat mature dynamic server side programming language over the past few years. As of writing this article PHP 5.x is the current release and millions of web pages are using PHP (we are at Tizag). PHP is a free technology you can download for many different Operating Systems (see our PHP Install Lesson for information on how to install PHP).

Compared to ASP, PHP is very easy to pick up and learn a little at a time. PHP is an ideal language for the weekend or hobbyist programmer. Seems like all green pastures in the land of PHP.

Then about ASP: Active Server Pages, ASP is a technology that is included with Internet Information Services (IIS) which is included in Windows 2003, NTs and XP Professional. If you own XP Home Edition then you will need to pay a couple hundred dollars to upgrade to XP Professional before you can begin your ASP programming career.

As far as programming languages go, ASP is definitely not as straightforward as PHP. The language has a plethora of confusing programming patterns that will take a while to learn. Besides that difficulty, there is also much less free information on the internet, preventing you weekend programmers from getting a quality education for no money down.

On the other hand, ASP and ASP.NET are widely used in the business world. If you are looking to get a high paying job, ASP or ASP.NET would be a darn good start to improving your desirability to employers.

Harrisonbrosnan

PHP is a faster language for development as it has a wide range of built-in functions and a less verbose syntax.

cathelinedavid

PHP is a powerful tool for making dynamic and interactive Web pages. PHP is the widely-used, free, and efficient alternative to competitors such as Microsoft's ASP. PHP is a server-side scripting language. As for programming languages go, ASP is not as simple as PHP. The language has a number of confusing the software structure, which takes time to learn. Besides the difficulty is also a lot less free information on the Internet, preventing access to programmers weekend of high quality training, no money down.

peterjoy

PHP is a powerful tool for making web pages dynamic and interactive. PHP is widely used alternative, free, effective and competitors such as Microsoft ASP. PHP is a scripting language on the server side. As programming languages go, ASP is not as easy as PHP. The language has a number of confusing the software structure, which takes time to learn. Besides the difficulty is much less free information on the Internet, preventing access to programmers weekend of high quality training, no money down.

arleenjames

PHP is based on C + + language and syntax used in PHP is quite similar to C / C + +. C / C + + is still considered the best programming language for programmers and people who love this language would surely feel more comfortable with the syntax of PHP. ASP, on the other hand has a more Visual Basic kind of syntax that is still closely related to only Microsoft products. So, it depends on a person to another, the language in which he or she is comfortable.

mickyjulien

ASP and PHP are both programming languages. Both are use for creating websites. ASP is short term Active Server Pages, and Its need microsoft server for execution and PHP programs can also run in Windows and Unix.

aadilbrown

ASP is called Active Server Pages and PHP stands for PHP Hypertext Preprocessor. ASP is normally not supported from Microsoft servers. PHP has its own language and syntax. ASP is based on Visual Basic. But from the both languages PHP is the best language.

Alorageorge

ASP stands for Active Server Pages and PHP formerly stood for Personal Home Pages and is now known as PHP Hypertext Preprocessor.  ASP.Net and PHP are excellent choices as well, which basically offers the same functionality. This decision corresponds to the burden of initial investment, or the console has a level at or other Open Source completely awesome, the result depends on the mastery of both languages is selected.

ramsankeiio

PHP is a server-side scripting language that is widely accepted as compared to Microsoft's ASP. It forms an effective tool for designing dynamic and interactive Web pages.

yours

For me, PHP too difficult, as with many people, I am not good at programming, but ASP is relatively easy for a lot, and graphical interface is also very easy to design

jasonmilsont

Based on who you ask, PHP's generally entered framework can either be a advantage or your toughest problem. While the capability to turn between varying kinds without any unique parsing creates programming simple to start with.

annahussy

I think PHP is very easy programming language to use and its also support all platforms. Its very easy to learn and many people use this programming language for designing a website. I love to use PHP instead of ASP because ASP is not so easy to learn for me.

James Andy

ASP and PHP are both programming languages that are commonly used to create websites. Unlike the usual static html web pages, ASP and PHP websites are more dynamic and can allow users to interact and exchange information using the website's databases.

littonbarney

I am using PHP these are some reason to select PHP. Graphics and Charts, creation of Forms, Online Community, different ways to get a shopping cart, Recommend Similar Items, create PDFs from HTML documents and Project Management Tools.

Deping

Of course PHP is better the Asp.net...

I am also don't code on ASP.net. I prefer PHP. And i am not only just look at the most popular websites Facebook, Wikipedia or millions of Wordpress and Joomla websites they are written on PHP.

sankalppatil

I think PHP is a very easy programming language to use and its also support all platforms. Its very easy to learn and many people use this programming language for designing a website.