• Welcome to Web Hosting Community Forum for Webmasters - Web hosting Forum.

Recommended Providers

Fully Managed WordPress Hosting
lc_banner_leadgen_3
Fully Managed WordPress Hosting

WordPress Theme

Divi WordPress Theme
WPZOOM

Forum Membership

Forum Membership

Windows vs. Linux - Which Is Better?

Started by Tech, September 01, 2007, 01:28:47 AM

Tech

For basic HTML web sites, there is no apparent difference.

As you may have guessed, Windows and Linux accounts are differentiated by the operating system platform that the server runs on.

Windows is a Windows 2000 (or the new Windows server 2003), which are both very much like the Microsoft Windows 98, XP, etc...Except, web server versions are more specialized for hosting web sites and server applications that standard PC operating systems.

Linux is an alternative operating system platform originally developed from open source code and Unix (not from a software corporate giant, like Microsoft). It is not very popular in the Desktop PC market, but has become huge in the server arena with versions like RedHat, Debian, CentOS and others.

Q: I have a Windows PC, does this mean I need Windows web hosting? A: No - That does not matter.

So, which one is better for a basic website?

Performance-wise, it is hard to tell any difference at all. With Linux, you tend to get more "bang for the buck", since there are not the extensive licensing fees as are associated with a Microsoft product. You will notice that in web hosting plans, the Linux accounts typically cost a little less than the Windows hosting accounts.

For the beginning webmaster or hobbyist, Linux seems to be a good starting place due to it's affordability and versatility. You may find it interesting that about 2/3 of all web sites are hosted on Linux platform. About 1/4 are Windows driven.

For the advanced web developer, the opposing platforms represent different flavors of technology associated to each. For example, Microsoft developers can use "Access Database" and "ASP Script"- while Linux developers can use "MOD_PERL" and "MYSQL Database" (with HostNed, PHP, CGI and Perl are supported on both platforms). All of this garble is simply different technologies for driving dynamic and very complex sites (like auction sites or shopping malls).

Whichever one you choose, it is not a big deal. Both Linux and Windows are excellent server platforms that can be a very fast and reliable vessel to serve up your website to the world!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Dan_Wright

serleselby

I prefer Windows for my computer because I am big fan of game. but I think both are good OS. Both provide a GUI and a command line interface. Both provide text mode Interface such as Windows users sometimes call it a DOS prompt. Linux users refer to it as a shell. Linux is very cheap or free, Windows is expensive. Linux provide higher security as compare to windows.

frezbkr

The various distributions of Linux come from different companies.Linux is better than the windows.Because the majority of Linux variants are available for free or at a much lower price than Microsoft Windows.Linux is and has always been a very secure operating system.Microsoft Windows is not open source and the majority of Windows programs are not open source.

mikelfennel

I Like Linux , Because it is working very smooth, ignoring the minor bugs in certain applications.Linux provide high Security and not use any anti virus software.

albasnians

Most Linux distributions are very good operating systems. They are usually very thin and clean. Since Linux is not popular at all, it tends not to get so many viruses that make a Windows installation. The disadvantage is that Linux will not run programs that are written for Windows. So if you use programs such as Photoshop, Auto Cad, Microsoft Office, etc., these do not work on Linux. Also most browsers email clients do not work on Linux. But if you're just eyebrows and Internet e-mail, if Linux will work well for you.

John23

If your website needs to collect its data from an Access database, a Windows server will be able to integrate this database seamlessly. While there are many database options, such as MySQL, many people prefer to use Access. A Windows server will be able to make integration much easier.

jesicakalra

in my point of view Windows is better for user point of view..

mikepeterson1

I prefer Linux because it is more safe...
thanks....

thomaspolard

I think Windows is best. My favourite Operating system is Window Vista.

AS per my Experience Window Vista is best operating system,because it provide good Feature.

johnycamron

I give first prior to Linux, Because Linux is free ware software and easy to linstallation. On my daily use i have use to the Linux and It's security purpose is be perfect. Linux is better then other software.

danieljames123

It's not that there aren't differences between the two. Security, programming languages, and added all alter amid Linux and Windows. But it's a great coup for Linux to note that, if anything, the functionality available for Linux meets and often exceeds that provided by Windows, making one's choice less about operating systems and more about the Web host's other services.

robinsonparrera

Now-a-days Linux and Windows are most popular server  that can be a very fast and reliable. I my opinion I go for Linux. It's provided good features and facility. It's cheap than other. Majority people prefer use this operating system.

martinking

I also agree that there is not even a competition between Windows and Linux, as Windows is the best operating system ever. I am using Windows operating system for more than 10 years and its great to use with many exciting features.

jennyjenna

Without any hesitation my vote is in the Favour of windows.

James Andy

Well, Linux and Windows are two different types of OS but Linux is the prominent for web servers. So if you have websites which need specific Windows applications, Linux is the ideal option.

annahussy

Windows and Linux both are the best to use and both works great. I prefer to use Linux for designing a website because it provide good security. It's very fast and reliable to use. It have inbuilt security option so that it not need any anti virus software to protect your computer and programs from the viruses.

StevenDurgin

Well it is hard to decide which one is best operating system between Windows and Linux because both are the best and have different qualities but i think Linux is the best and secure operating system.