• Welcome to Web Hosting Community Forum for Webmasters - Web hosting Forum.

Recommended Providers

Fully Managed WordPress Hosting
lc_banner_leadgen_3
Fully Managed WordPress Hosting

WordPress Theme

Divi WordPress Theme
WPZOOM

Forum Membership

Forum Membership

Windows Defender start-up Error

Started by Tech, September 01, 2007, 01:34:23 AM

Tech

You may have noticed a new error message upon Windows start-up since December 31, 2006. The error dialog looks like this:

Windows Defender

Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. A problem caused Windows Defender Service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or search Help and Support on how to start a service manually.

In addition, you will see the following in your System Event Log:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7023

Description:

The Windows Defender Service service terminated with the following error:

The system license has expired. Your logon request is denied.

The issue is that Windows Defender Beta support ended on December 31, 2006. Now, I would have expected this software license expire error to let you know a bit more gracefully.

The good news is that if your are running Windows XP, there is a easy fix. Simply go to Microsoft.com and look for the "Download Windows Defender" link near the bottom of the home page. Follow the download and install instructions, and you will be up to date, protected and will have fixed the start-up error in just minutes.

Now for the bad news...

If you are running Windows 2000, Microsoft has decided to no longer support the Windows Defender product for the Windows 2000 platform. You can fix the start-up error by uninstalling Windows Defender from the Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel. Unfortunately, this will leave you unprotected from Spyware and Malware. Since Microsoft is no longer providing a Spyware protection product for Windows 2000, you will need to purchase a third party product in order to be protected in the future.

I must say that I am more than annoyed by this decision at Microsoft to discontinue the Windows Defender product for Windows 2000. I am a big fan of Windows 2000 as it has been one of the most stable operating system made by Microsoft to date. I am aware that Microsoft has discontinued official support for Win2k as of June 30, 2005. Actually, it has entered the "Extended Support Phase" for the Win2k product. This means they will have "extended" support until June 2010... without Spyware protection! This is like the proverbial knife in the back for existing Win2k users. Actually, more like the proverbial gun to the head to get you to upgrade to Windows Vista.

Now, there is no doubt that Windows XP and Vista are a much better protected operating systems right out of the box. In the networks that I support, XP Pro SP2 or Windows 2003 Server is the standard for any new deployments. I just resent the gun to the head thing!

For Win2k users, you will obviously make your own decision about this dilemma in which I see you have three choices:

1) Uninstall Windows Defender and just take your chances on operating without Spyware protection.

2) Uninstall Windows Defender and purchase a third party Spyware protection product.

3) Decide to put your money towards the upgrade to XP or Vista, which will include the free

Spyware protection.

I would not recommend choice 1. The Internet is just too dangerous of a place to venture without protection. You may choose choice 2 because you love Win2k and just do not want to hassle with the potential upgrade headaches. Or, you may choose 3 because you are up to the upgrade task and you feel it make more sense to invest in the future.

If you decide on the upgrade to Vista path, please look for my "Upgrading to Vista" article coming soon.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Dean_Chafee

Akshay_M

If you are encountering a start-up error with Windows Defender, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Restart your computer: Sometimes, a simple restart can fix temporary issues. Restart your computer and see if the error with Windows Defender persists after the reboot.

2. Check Windows Defender Service: Open the Services management console by pressing the Windows key + R, typing "services.msc," and hitting Enter. Locate the "Windows Defender Antivirus Service" in the list of services. Ensure that its status is set to "Running" and the startup type is set to "Automatic." If the service is stopped, right-click on it, select "Start," and check if the error is resolved.

3. Perform a System File Check: The error with Windows Defender may be caused by corrupted system files. Open the Command Prompt as an administrator by pressing the Windows key + X and selecting "Command Prompt (Admin)" or "Windows PowerShell (Admin)." In the command prompt, type "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) and hit Enter. The System File Checker will scan for and attempt to repair any corrupted system files. Restart your computer after the process is complete and check if the error persists.

4. Update Windows: Outdated or missing Windows updates can sometimes cause issues with Windows Defender. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click on "Check for updates." Install any available updates and restart your computer. Check if the error is resolved after updating Windows.

5. Run Windows Defender Offline Scan: Windows Defender has an offline scanning feature that can help detect and remove malware that may be causing the start-up error. Open Windows Security by clicking on the shield icon in the system tray. Go to "Virus & threat protection" and click on "Scan options." Choose "Windows Defender Offline scan" and click on "Scan now." Follow the on-screen instructions to perform the offline scan. Restart your computer after the scan is complete and check if the error is resolved.

If the above steps do not resolve the start-up error with Windows Defender, it's possible that the issue is more complex and may require further investigation or assistance from Microsoft support.